Thursday, April 15, 2010

Take the road less traveled

(I always receive questions from my Formspring account regarding of why I opted to take Biology as my course in College. Hope this will answer the queries.)

I always regard myself as adventurous and a risk taker. I am not afraid of failure because through failure, it will mold and shape me to a better person.

When I was young, I am always fascinated to flying insects. Actually I find it cool whenever I see flying cockroaches! I will never forget the day when I caught two grasshoppers and placed them on a cage. But eventually, those poor critters died due to starvation. I am always curious about the things around me. You know, one time, I tried to feed my two pet goldfish but instead of fish flakes, I gave them loaf bread. They ate it but unfortunately, they died due to suffocation. Back then, I always watch Discovery Channel/National Geographic instead of cartoons.

I used to be a straight A student since 1st grade. Honestly, it was really boring. I always search for different kinds of challenges. High school came and I wasn't given a chance to speak my mind, to share my opinion and to voice out my concerns. I have a low self-esteem hence my classmates won't trust my leadership skills. I didn't experience any difficulties on high school Physics, high school Chemistry, History, Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus. At that moment, I thought I was going to the easiest route. I really tried to focus and divert to the route that I really wanted.

Good thing there was UPCAT.

My parents really wanted me to pursue my college life to this famous university. I only took UPCAT. No more, no less. The entrance exam was not a joke. I really find it difficult. But, I still loved it because I really now that I'm on the right track. Fortunately, I passed UPCAT.

I chose Biology because I really love science and I know it's not going to be easy.

Then three years ago, I entered college life.

It wasn't easy though. All of my classmates were more brilliant than me, but I take that as a challenge. My life in UP is full of ups and downs.

I was publicly humiliated by my professor because I slept during her class.
I arrived an hour late during my NatSci II long exam.
I cried when my Chem professor did not accept my assignment which I worked hard for it. Gah, long story but one thing for sure, I was right and he was wrong.
I scored more than a hundred in Chem. It was really amazing.
Organic Chem. Second long exam result: 19/60.
I was given the chance to speak in front of the people, to share my insights about the current administration.
I chose the most challenging thesis topic. My adviser didn't have an advisee for 5 years because her former advisees left her and find another topic. But yeah, miraculously, we speak the same language.
I got my first 5.00 - Biochemistry.
I may not be a consistent dean's lister, the way I used to be when I was still in grade school and high school. I may not graduate with honors but deep inside I have accomplished a lot of things. I know there are still lots of challenges ahead of me but I now I have self confidence. I believe that I could accomplish those things.

If I were you, take the road less traveled. It may not be an easy route but once you get through with it, you'll find it very rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatchasay?