Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Future Tense

While some of my batch mates (mostly from the Social Science and Humanities Department) are somewhat eager to land a decent job after graduation. I on the other hand will still study for another 5 years (specialization not included). Today. I feel like I'm taking a college entrance exam, again - filling up some forms, pasting some 2x2 ID pictures on it, photocopying some important documents and the list goes on and on.

I overheard them saying, "I wanna be rich" or "I hope I'll have an extraordinary career growth" or "I hope I work in a stable company".

And when they asked me for my future plans, I just told them, in a straightforward manner, like a bullet darting its way to the victim, "I'm going to study medicine. Still a student for the next 5 years". They were a bit surprised.

"Aren't you tired of being a student? I mean, another four years of studying? Why don't you just work instead and build your career in the field of research?", they asked.

"You know what, my mind tells me that I can still endure such stressful activities. Stress is actually everywhere! Do you think working for your monthly earnings is not stressful? I guess not. I know my capabilities. I know the limitations of my body. I know it's hard but I believe it is my duty to serve our country once I'm through with med school. And with that, I know that through my diligence and hardwork, I can help those people who are in need. I believe it is my destiny to become a doctor. We might not know, in the near future, I'm going to prescribe you some medicines that would actually save your life."

"Each and everyone of us has its own decisions. We are smart enough to determine our capacity, be mental, emotional or physical. I love what I'm doing right now and I'll do whatever it takes to reach my goals in life."

They were stunned. So am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatchasay?