Sunday, January 20, 2013

That Saturday Night

I was on a deep slumber when a friend of mine woke me up for one serious reason: a fire broke out five blocks away from our house. Instinctively, I went out to the street and there, I witnessed chaos and pandemonium.

It was not my first time to witness such accident... But it made me realize a lot of things.



It was around 2004 when I saw a fire eating a house for the first time. It was surreal and scary at the same time. I was not really expecting to be that big, albeit destroying only one house. But still, a house is a house. Good thing was, everyone in that burning house got out safely and were unscathed. But I couldn't help but think about their agony, watching their house right before their eyes burning. All of the hard work and sacrifice had gone in an instant.

Fast forward to 2013.

Last night was worse. Everyone panicked. The fire was near the laundry house and I really thought that the fire consumed the laundry house. I only thought of my clothes, my uniform, and my long pants. That was the most selfish thing I did that time. From that moment, I fail to empathize with the people around me. Majority had bigger problems than me. While I was busy worrying about my clothes, everyone was busy thinking on how to start from ashes, literally and figuratively. There were approximately 20 fire trucks that time. It was THAT big.

I should be thankful that I am still alive. I should be thankful that I am financially capable to buy all the things that I want. I should be thankful that I have a supportive family and friends. I should be ALWAYS thankful to all the blessings that I have received.

Lesson learned, I shouldn't complain how difficult my life seemed. Some are experiencing the worst things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatchasay?