Friday, September 10, 2010

Sentimental Piece

Being a Biology student isn't really that easy. You are required to understand, analyze and memorize wholeheartedly the biochemical processes of life such as Glycolysis, Krebs Cycle and the Electron Transport Chain. You are also required to pass laboratory reports on time (usually everyday). You can't really use your imagination once you deal with the technicalities. There's always a right and wrong answers. If you don't have references, you'll have a grade of zero plus you're going to be accused of plagiarism.

It is REALLY stressful, I tell you.

The good thing is, I am currently enrolled in a Literature class that enhances students' capabilities in terms of writing by expressing their own opinions and perspectives. Each one of us has the chance to write what we feel after reading certain selections and watching foreign movies about memories, friendship, war, beliefs and love.

Surprisingly, our professor was also a BS Biology graduate of UP Diliman (cum laude) but took another degree at Siliman University (BA English major in Creative Writing) after graduation.

I just realized that it is very hard to write a movie review/critique if you base from the technicalities of the movie. You have to be keen in observing and evaluating the actor's delivery of their skills. Also, you have to analyze the plot of the movie, whether if it's coherent with the theme or not. It's really hard, given the fact that I do not have any background in film studies. But when you make a personal reflection about a certain movie, ideas start to flow continuously until you create such magnificent piece.

Anyway, I got really surprised when I saw my reaction papers. I usually get a grade of 1.00. Moreover, our professor is fond of putting some 'love letters' on a vacant side of the paper. The latest was this:

"You are consistent with your works, keep it up! You have a big potential of being good writer."

This made my day, at least. It really compensated from yesterday's depressing event. I have never thought being a good writer. I sometimes commit grammatical errors. When constructing a piece, I tend to be incoherent. Sometimes, my thoughts are entropic; messy.

But then again, there's always a room for improvement.

The point of this post is, I miss writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatchasay?