Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Cost Cutting Measures

In aviation industry, airline companies need to have an optimum profit and one way to achieve this is through cost cutting. In simple economics, the profit makes the company running. There are several ways to cut off the expenses and raise revenue, like through the usage of air bridges, fuel-passenger ratio and the efficiency of the aircraft.

What's disturbing is that some airline companies include aircraft maintenance to their cost cutting measures. This shouldn't be done since maintenance, as the name implies maintains the aircraft to its top condition. If anything goes wrong with the aircraft, it should be treated through keen repair and inspection by the maintenance crew. A single mistake is already proven fatal, as what we have heard or read from the news since the dawn of the aviation industry. Thousands of lives have already been compromised due to the neglect of some aviation companies. Greed might have taken over by some officials. In return lives of the innocent travelers are at risk, at all times.

Sometimes in life, we need to consider a lot of things before implementing it. We have to think whether if it is for the betterment of the people and not just for our own benefit.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Literary Evolution

Over time, people have changed the way they express their thoughts through writing.

Renaissance Period: Greetings my lord! It is my honor to report to you that this gentleman went to a series of public humiliation due to his negligence; he accidentally stepped on a banana peel, slid and fell along the pathway. I reckon he had lost his self-confidence on a certain period of time.

20th century: The man accidentally stepped on a banana peel, lost his balance and fell on the ground.

Internet Age (circa 2008 and above): LOL @MAN! EPIC FAIL!

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Inappropriate Protest

We students have the right to protest - be it from the sudden tuition fee increase, and other school matters.

Moreover, we can do this in an orderly manner.

We do not need to burn and destroy those armchairs, tables and chalkboards. We do not need to throw them from the third or fourth floor of the building. We are intelligent human beings. We live in a modern era and society. We are not like those Goths who invaded the Roman Empire thousands of years ago.

We keep on protesting about our country's quality of education, and yet as a form of protest, we destroy lots of school properties. I don't see the point, really. Is it brought about by a surge of mixed emotions? Oh dear, we should at least know how to control our temper.

Ahhhh, the beauty of democracy. Freedom at its best... and worst.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

One Thought Outwits the Other

In less than a year, I'll be graduating from college. I'll be leaving UP. All those wonderful experiences have molded me into a better person.

In the next four years, I'll be taking either medicine (75% chance) or a masters and doctorate degree in Molecular Genetics (25% chance). In that time, I'll enjoy the life of being single, mingle with my new set of friends, reunite to some of my old friends, meet my soon-to-be-colleagues and travel alone to various places inside and outside the country.

When I'm almost thirty, I'll find the perfect girl that will perfectly complete my almost perfect life.

Then utopia. Then children. Then a new set of adventure embarks. Then the middle age. Then the old life. Then retirement; enjoying the last days of my life.


Apparently, one have this kind of thinking when planning about their future. You know what, sometimes life is MORE exciting when things come unexpectedly.
You become a bit frustrated once you won't achieve what you really want to do with your life.

Always remember that in life, it's good to have plans but we should always be prepared to things that will come in a spur of the moment. It can be a good thing or otherwise. Either way, both will have valuable lessons that will shape us into a better person - way better than the thought of being already a better person before.
Just enjoy life.

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Student Representation

"Hay naku, yang mga taga Student Council, mga rebelde... rally nalang ng rally..."

I got hurt when I heard this from a student of UP. Ironic, isn't it?

Let me clarify this.

The University Student Council of the University of the Philippines is the legitimate and autonomous institution inside the campus that protects and upholds the democratic rights and welfare of the students. We firmly believe that in order to further uphold our principles and campaigns; we must become a part of the alliance. Alliances are the foreground of collective actions because it strengthen and solidify the line of students.

Being the prime stakeholder of the university, we have the right to know what is really happening inside the administration. We have the right to know the different issues of the university. We have the right to share our opinions about those issues that circulate across the entire UP System. That is why, student representation is VERY important. It is our right it, not just merely a privilege. Where's the academic freedom by the way? I can't really take the idea of withdrawing the student representation.

We the officers of the student council are not rebels. It's just, we are not happy with the decisions of the administration. We DO NOT think that it is suitable, appropriate and right for the students. We thoroughly review those issues and when things get worse, we have no choice but to picket. We voice out our concerns about the institution just to be heard.

Before the elections, we already accepted the fact that it's going to be a big responsibility, sometimes compromising our academic standings and free time. But we don't think of that way. We just want to serve the university for a year or two and to address our concerns to the administration. Take note that not all of the students have enough guts to raise their concerns to the administration.

So, to that certain UP student, you must put this in your mind that UP upholds academic excellence and national consciousness.

Stop being apathetic. Wake up!