Sunday, October 13, 2019

How Does One Waltz Away?



Last week, I finally have the chance to watch Anna And The King. The movie was first released last December 1999, almost 20 years ago. I know, shame... shame, but better late than ever, okay?

The movie is all about King Mongkut's relationship with the Kingdom of Siam's newly hired English schoolteacher, Anna Leonowens. Basically, it's all about finding love in a very untimely circumstance. I really like this movie because it's not too cheesy, and it reflects the reality of life. You meet someone who would make your life meaningful but do not end up with the person whom you truly love. Sometimes, they come to our life to teach us valuable lessons.

Here's my favorite part of the movie, during the last part. IT REALLY STRUCK THE CORE OF MY SOUL.

Anna: I, uh, ordered this some time ago for the children. It's a fine example of scientific thinking. As music is mathematical in nature
King Mongkut: Chords, constructed from notes in intervals of thirds. And so on, and so on.
Anna: Precisely. I would like to know why, if science can unravel something as beautiful as music, why it cannot posit a solution for a school teacher and a king?
King Mongkut: The manner in which people might understand, such new possibilities is also a process of evolution.
Anna: Everything in Siam has its own time.
King Mongkut: Even if King is also wanting it to be different.
Anna: I still must go, Your Majesty.
King Mongkut: So, where is it you will be going?
Anna: England.
King Mongkut: Home. This is good ma'am. Very good for Louis as well.
Anna: What?
King Mongkut: I'm wondering if given circumstances it is appropriate for a King to ask... Anna... to dance?
Anna: I have danced with a king before, your Majesty
King Mongkut: And I... an Englishwoman. Until now, Madam Leonowens, I did not understand supposition man could be satisfied with only one woman.
Narrator (Prince Chulalongkorn): I was only a boy, but the image of my father, holding the woman he loved for the last time has remained with me throughout the years. It is always surprising how small a part of life is taken up by meaningful moments. Most often they're over before they start even though they cast a light on the future and make the person who originated them unforgettable. Anna had shined such a light to Siam.

Such a bittersweet ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatchasay?