Friday, October 10, 2008

Endosulfan Madness


During our final exam in Organic Chemistry, I was staggered when I saw the bonus part. It goes like this:

Bonus (10 points) – Rate the neatness of your bluebook honestly from 1-10. Liars will be deducted. (Yeah, liars go to hell – to Hell and beyond).

Bonus (15 points) – Draw the structure of Melamine. (I knew it, lalabas pa rin ‘to!)

Bonus (50 points)Draw the structure the endosulfan


Great.. if only I knew the structure of endosulfan, I would only answer a few items in the exam and I’ll get more than 100%. But I’m glad I knew the structure of Melamine and I’m not a liar for Christ’s sake (and yeah, we have our own views and perspectives regarding neatness). 25 points of bonus would still be a great help. THANK GOD.

May liwanag ang buhay. I can’t imagine if we didn’t use the folder of ALL organic reactions and synthesis. I think, aside from my “honesty” and Melamine, my trusty long folder was the savior of my day.

Here’s the answer to the million-dollar question:




Endosulfan is a neurotoxic organochlorine insecticide of the cyclodiene family of pesticides. It is an endocrine disruptor, and it is highly acutely toxic. It is banned in the European Union, Cambodia, and several other countries, while its use is restricted in other countries, including the Philippines (where it will be banned after September 2008).

It is still used extensively in many countries including India, New Zealand and the United States. It is made by Bayer CropScience, Makhteshim-Agan, and Hindustan Insecticides Limited among others, and sold under the tradenames Thionex, Thiodan, Phaser, and Benzoepin. Because of its high toxicity and high potential for bioaccumulation and environmental contamination, a global ban on the use and manufacture of endosulfan is being considered under the Stockholm Convention.

--Endocrine disruptor


Oh fuck, I’m just pissed with my printer, Canon iP1880. I don’t know what’s wrong with this printer, but I just can’t print. Period. ISN’T THAT GREAT? The cartridges are not misaligned, the black cartridge’s newly refilled two days ago and, uggh, everything’s fine. The message keeps on flashing whenever I try to print something:

Ink Cartridge cannot be recognized by the printer (Black).

Can somebody help me with this quandary?

Oh great, Monday’s the final day of my exam marathon. And yeah, the finale’s the deadliest. You could just imagine that I’ll have to take three final exams from eight in the morning ‘til three in the afternoon. I only have an hour to eat my lunch and cram for my final exam in Organic Chemistry Lab (1pm to 3pm).

So what will I do for this night?

First, fix the goddamn printer and second, finish New Moon. Three more chapters before Eclipse. YEAAAAAAH.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatchasay?